Wednesday 15 May 2013

Easier said than done


Oh, this is all a bit new and different, isn’t it?

Been trying to write a follow up to my first blog post and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve sighed, stopped, electronically scrunched up the page and chucked it with a frustrated harrumph into the bin. You want to get something out, you feel the urge to express yourself, but by Gove it just doesn’t want to come.

Bit of a metaphor for life right now, then. I know I’ve said we’ve figured out how to step off the treadmill, but as the Italians might say, tra il dire e il fare c’é di mezzo il mare. Or in other words, easier said than done. All our savings are tied up in the house, so the only way to get at them is to sell the house. That means getting rid of the clutter, doing all those little annoying bits of DIY you’ve been meaning to do for years but never quite got around to it, tidying up the garden (something else that’s easier said than done), convincing The Child that no, selling your home isn’t the end of the world, yes, most of your toys will come with us, and yes we might just need to do something about all the animals.

We have a lot of animals. At last count we have something like 20 chickens, 6 ducks, 2 geese, 11 rabbits, 3 cats and 1 dog. Yes, they do limit our flexibility a bit. Yes, we might eat most of them. Yes, it’s going to cause all sorts of heartache and pain with The Child. No, we won’t eat the cats and the dog.

All minor stuff, though, really, and so very necessary. Been back at work for the past three days after a week off and I’ve only just managed to hold off doing something completely silly. I have access to implements of murder. I could do some serious damage with my oversized stapler. So far I’ve limited myself to simply using it to staple random bits of paper together, rather than, say, beat my team members to death with it or staple a post-it with the words ‘Ow, this really hurts’ to someone’s forehead. But it won’t be too much longer.

I really do need to get going. Push forward. Press the button. Action those to-do points. Grab that low hanging fruit. Make the most of my results driven ethos and deliver some outstanding results.

*sigh*

They say the hardest part is deciding to act. No it isn’t. The hardest part is actually doing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment